Study And Work in Canada 2023

Study And Work in Canada 2023

One of the many advantages of choosing Canada as your study destination is the ability to work while you are a student, but there are a few things you should know before you begin to make money. Most international students studying in Canada are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week and full-time during designated breaks without a work permit. Working while you are a student can help you support yourself, make new friends, and create the connections and experience you’ll need to stand out in the future job market.

With part-time student employment for international students, you may augment your spending money while gaining essential work experience. International students and their spouses/common law partners have a number of work visa options that allow them to work in Canada; however, you must first demonstrate that you can afford your tuition and living expenses before coming to Canada. Making valuable business contacts in Canada while working may help you open doors for future immigration after graduation.

In this article, we will explore the details about working as an international student in Canada-

Working off-campus

You are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full-time during specified breaks under the Off-Campus Work Permit Program (for example, winter and summer holidays, and spring break).


International students may apply for a Co-op/Internship Work Permit if their intended job is deemed by their Canadian academic institution to be a crucial component of their programme of study in Canada. Up to 50% of the study programme may be made up of the program’s job component.

On-campus work opportunities

International students who are enrolled full-time at eligible public or private universities or colleges in Canada and who possess valid study permits may also be qualified to work on-campus without a work permit at their educational institution.

Working in Canada while Studying: Eligibility

You must remember that you cannot start working while studying in Canada until your study programme officially starts. International students enrolled full-time in a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada and in possession of a study permit are permitted to work off campus without a work permit. This implies that you can work anywhere in Canada for any business and in any profession. If they choose, international students can work on campus. Any employment outside of a university or college must be done while enrolled there. Working for any firm off campus entails doing so while attending a university or college. Working on campus refers to employment with any employer located on the campus of a university or college, including employment with the institution itself, employment with a faculty member (as a research assistant, for example), employment with oneself while on campus, employment with a student organisation, or employment with a private contractor offering services on campus, such as a restaurant or gym.

Remember that even if you wish to work while you are a student in Canada, you will still need to provide proof that you have the resources to support yourself when you apply for a study visa. Due to this, you must show that you have the means to sustain yourself while you are studying. The requirement to demonstrate financial capacity prior to arrival cannot be satisfied by anticipated future earnings, therefore the fact that you may intend to work while pursuing your studies in Canada will not be sufficient.

If you are permitted to work in Canada is one of the conditions of your study permit, which will also detail the other conditions. You can apply to Service Canada using this declaration for a Social Insurance Number (SIN), which is required before you can begin working while you are a student in Canada.

If your study permit is missing the statement required to apply for a SIN, you can get it changed for free. Although you can do this once you arrive, it is much easier if you do it as soon as you land and acquire your study visa. If there is anything on your study permit that you are unsure of, you can ask the immigration officer about your ability to work when you arrive. If your study programme is less than six months long or if you are enrolled in an ESL or FSL programme for either English or French, you are not permitted to work in Canada unless you have another type of authorization. Additionally, foreign or exchange students are not allowed to work while enrolled in a DLI in Canada. Furthermore, it is not permissible for international or exchange students to work while enrolled in a DLI in Canada.

Finding Part-time Jobs in Canada while Studying 

Finding employment after determining your eligibility to work in Canada may seem like the simple part. There is a wide range of part-time jobs available in Canada, and employers are frequently eager to hire students. Prior to starting the job application or employment search, prepare your resume (CV) and cover letter. Your CV and cover letter are your strongest tools for grabbing a potential employer’s attention and establishing yourself as the most qualified candidate for the position. Verify that your resume is up to date and formatted in compliance with the specifications of Canadian employers. You have the opportunity to showcase your personality and accomplishments in your cover letter. Make a new cover letter for each post that explains how you meet the requirements perfectly. If you’re submitting an online application, your cover letter can serve as your welcome email, and you can attach a PDF of your résumé.

There are many places where you might begin your job hunt. On websites like Indeed, Monster, and Craigslist, a lot of part-time job postings can be discovered. You might look for employment at recreation centres, libraries, or in administration on a website that is specialised to your city or town.

If any businesses are hiring workers through window advertisements, you can also take a stroll through your neighbourhood to check. Remember to bring paper copies of your CV with you, dress properly, and be conscious of your availability if you choose to employ this tactic. If a job appears to have potential, ask to talk with someone about it. This is an excellent opportunity to make a great first impression in person and could lead to an immediate job interview.

In Canada, there is a great tradition of working while you are a student, therefore you shouldn’t try to disguise it. Keep in mind that your studies come first, and don’t be afraid to request the time off you require during exam times or in front of a significant deadline. You should be aware of your rights as well as the provincial minimum wage if you work part-time as a student in Canada. Part-time students also have the same labour laws as all other workers in Canada. Ensure that you receive paystubs and the appropriate proof of employment so that you may file your tax return.

In Canada, a large number of businesses use direct debit to pay employees into your bank account. So that your company can pay you, it’s crucial to establish up a bank account and have the information necessary to access it readily available.

Canada’s Top Part-Time Jobs

Depending on the workload, part-time workers may receive a different wage. Even though the hourly compensation for a part-time job could be anywhere from CAD 10 and CAD 22, students are often paid by the hour for part-time work. Moreover, the salary for part-time work can differ from one place to another.

Part-time Work Expected Salary/Wages (in CAD/hour)
Sales associate 14
Cook 13-15
Customer service representative 14
Clerk 13
Dog Walker 15
Web designer 20
Delivery driver 19
Teacher 20-22
Translator  21
Freelancer 25

Average Pay

Students are typically compensated per hour for part-time occupations. On average, the wage rate is $10 per hour. You do not require a work permit if your goal is only to obtain work experience, such as assisting your professor with research. If you want to collaborate with your lecturers, make sure you have a strong network. If research is your preferred career route, it will assist you get into academia. You can work more than the required number of hours for this type of labour, but it must be done on campus and will be paid less. So, even with merely a student visa, you can continue to work on campus. After completing six months of education, an international student may apply for an off-campus work permit if he wants to work off-campus. The student will be able to work off-campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week with this permit.

Who is qualified for the off-campus work permit among overseas students?

Overseas students enrolled full-time at a Designated Learning Institution with a current study permit (DLI). The students must be enrolled in a six-month programme of academic, vocational, or professional training. Additionally, they demand good academic standing. Additionally, the pupils need to have a social security number (SIN). If a student’s circumstances change while they are working and they are no longer eligible, they should quit employment off campus. A student may continue to work off-campus under specific circumstances even if they are no longer enrolled in an institute’s full-time programme.

Students who cannot work off-campus 

The off-campus work permit is not available to international students taking English or French as a second language. The off-campus job permit is likewise not available to exchange students attending a DLI. Furthermore, students enrolled in general interest programmes are not qualified for the off-campus work permit.

Co-op work permit

International students do not need a separate work permit to work while studying in Canada, which is a noteworthy exemption to the general rule. A student must complete a Co-op or internship work placement in order to graduate from numerous academic programmes. In this instance, abroad students require a Co-op work permit in addition to their study permission. To obtain a Co-op work permit, you must have a document from your university or institution indicating that all students in your programme must complete work placements in order to receive their degrees. You will also require a current study permit.

A cooperative work permit may be given in conjunction with your study permit. If your admission letter states that a Co-op or internship placement is required as part of your academic programme, you can submit your work permit application alongside your study permit application.

After receiving your study permit, you can submit an online or paper application for a co-op work permit. Your institution or college should be able to help you as the placement is a requirement of your academic programme and they most likely aid many international students in applying for this visa each year.

Visas and Part-time Employment

S-1 and SW-1 visas have distinct differences that students must comprehend.

  • As a student-only visa, the S-1 is issued.
  • Work and study visas include the SW-1 (given to those who have compulsory work, internship, or co-op programme that requires Credits Of Work)
  • You are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week on an S-1 visa during semesters (part-time). During the holiday season, full-time employment is allowed. Furthermore, if you find a co-op, you can convert your S-1 Visa into a SW-1 Visa without having to pay any further expenses.

After finishing Studying

After completing your studies, you might need to immediately stop working in Canada. There are, however, a number of methods you can keep functioning in various settings.

  • If you intend to stay and work in Canada, you may be able to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which allows you to work anywhere in Canada for any employer for up to three years following graduation. If you match the requirements and want to stay and work in Canada, you must apply within 180 days of getting written confirmation that your academic programme is finished.
  • You can continue working between study programmes if you are beginning a new one (for instance, pursuing a master’s after earning a bachelor’s degree)-
    • have a valid study permit or have applied for an extension before it expired;
    • have received a letter of acceptance to a new full-time study programme at a DLI;
    • will start your new study programme within 150 days of receiving written confirmation that your previous study programme has been completed.
    • You were also permitted to work off campus during your previous study programme.
  • You might be qualified for one or more International Experience Canada (IEC) categories if you decide to return to work temporarily after not applying for the PGWP. IEC gives young people from different nations the chance to work in Canada for a year or two, depending on the category and citizenship country.

When you work while you study in Canada, you gain valuable work experience, especially if you eventually want to seek permanent residency (permanent residence). Not only that, but finding part-time work will also enable you to network and forge professional connections that may come in handy when you begin looking for a full-time position in the future. Students from abroad who are looking for part-time work do not always need to be highly skilled. There are many occupations that merely demand you to be dependable, hardworking, and a natural learner. Beyond the money you make, working while studying in Canada can be beneficial. When looking for a career, having additional work experience after graduating from a Canadian university or college may help you stand out from the competition. Canadian job experience can be a significant advantage to your future aspirations, whether you intend to work abroad or remain in Canada after graduation.

Do you wish to study in Canada? Sign up for a consultation and get answers to any questions you have about studying in Canada and queries on any Study Abroad Canada topics at myglobaluni.


myglobaluni is a leading study abroad platform that helps students to find the right study abroad programs, colleges, & universities. Call now: +91-7337781100 for study abroad counselling.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top