myglobaluni’s guide to Working and Studying in the UK as an International Student in 2023

myglobaluni’s guide to Working and Studying in the UK as an International Student in 2023

Studying in the UK comes at a hefty price, from some of the highest tuition prices in the world to one of the priciest places to live. Fortunately, you have a lot of possibilities, which would not be the case in other popular study destinations, to make completing your education in British universities a simple task. You will have ample financial aid to study in UK thanks to a developed and accessible student loan system, several scholarship programmes, and more. Furthermore, overseas students are permitted to work part-time in the UK, just like they are in the majority of the top study abroad countries. International students are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week in the UK during the academic year and full-time during the vacation period. To be able to work, however, comes with a number of limitations and requirements that you must adhere to.

In this article, we will explore the varied layers and details that go with Working while Studying as an International Student in UK in 2023-

Working While you Study 

Students with student visas who are enrolled in full-time degree-level coursework are allowed to work in the UK. The following criteria and ilines apply:

  • At the university, up to 20 hours a week during the academic year. A “week,” in the words of UKVI, is “a seven-day period commencing on a Monday and ending on a Sunday.”
  • During breaks, full-time
  • If a work placement is a required and graded component of the course, it must be full-time during term time and it cannot exceed 50% of the course’s overall duration 
  • Serving for up to two years as a sabbatical officer for the student union
  • You are not permitted to work in the UK for any employer, whether it be paid or unpaid, if you are on a student visa for a part-time degree.


There are two main constraints that determine whether you can work while you are a student in the UK: those imposed by your university and those imposed by government-run official institutions. Before speaking with state representatives, you must first make sure that your university does not have any restrictions keeping you from working. In addition to legislative limits, your university might, for instance, place a limit on the number of hours you can work per week, depending on your study programme.

International students can obtain part-time employment in the UK, especially in populous areas like London. There is no need to be concerned, however, as there are still a lot of options available to you. Some universities in UK might only permit you to work on campus. You should first determine if you qualify for part-time employment before venturing out to look for one. Your Tier 4 visa, the recognised student visa in the United Kingdom, is where it all begins. Your age must be the first factor you consider. You are not permitted to work in the UK if you are under the age of 16 and lack a Tier 4 (General 4) visa.

Keep in mind that these restrictions on working only apply to students arriving from that nation and not from Switzerland, the EU, or the EEA. The UK does not require permission for citizens of the EU/EEA, including Switzerland, to work while enrolled in school there.

The number of hours you can work each week throughout the academic year is one of many restrictions and criteria listed on your Tier 4 sticker (vignette). A letter including all the details about whether or not you can work while you are studying will be included with your residence permit paperwork.

You may work in the UK if one of the following is mentioned in the letter-

  • The work must be authorized.
  • Possessing the ability to perform employment as specified by the Secretary of State’s Tier 4 Rules
  • According to Tier 4 Rules, restricted
  • During the academic year, part-time, and full-time during breaks.
  • a time limit on work
  • During the academic year, work is only permitted 20 hours per week at most.
  • During term time, there is a maximum 10 hour workweek limit.

If none of the following are mentioned on your passport sticker, you are permitted to work. Your passport sticker may say something slightly different than all of the options listed above-

  • No work
  • Work prohibited

It is advisable that you get in touch with them directly before choosing to apply for a job if any of these are not expressly stated in your paperwork or if you have trouble understanding it. Keep in mind that you might need to start a new immigration application if you decide to switch to a higher level of study or change your field of study. You must maintain your former immigration status up until you hear about the outcome of this new application.

What’s the weekly maximum number of hours you can work?

It also depends on the type of education you’re taking and how many hours you can work in the UK. The number of hours you can work in relation to the kind of course is listed below-

Students can work up to 20 hours each week in these kinds of courses-

  • a full-time course at the graduate level or higher at an accredited higher education institution
  • A transient student from a foreign higher education school enrolled in a programme who has made their home in the UK

Students are only permitted to work 10 hours per week in the following classes-

  • full-time courses below the level of a degree that are sponsored by an organization that is recognised or a higher education facility that is publicly funded.
  • There is a Tier 4 (Child) visa for any course when the student is older than 16.

Students that cannot work while studying in the UK who are enrolled enroll in these courses-

  • In a part-time postgraduate course or higher that is supported by an organization recognised in the UK or that receives public funding as a higher education institution
  • In any level of a course offered by a private higher education institution, whether it be at a further education college or elsewhere
  • A Tier 4 (Child) visa is required for any course taken by a student who is under 16 years old.

Working hours restrictions in the UK depend on a few factors, including the course you are taking and the Tier 4 sponsor you are attending. Even if you are not compensated for your employment, full-time students are only allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week. Since the week has a defined legal meaning, you cannot average a week over a long period of time. According to this guideline, a week is the seven-day period spanning a Monday and a Sunday.

Jobs that are prohibited for international students 

After confirming your right to work in the UK, you’ll need to deal with some limitations on the kind of work you’re willing to accept. While studying in the UK, there are some jobs you cannot perform. The following are some of the paid and unpaid activities that are prohibited while you have a Tier 4 visa:

  • Become self-employed or a freelancer
  • Start a business endeavor
  • Permanent full-time employment
  • Professional athletes, coaches, and athletes
  • Be an entertainer 
  • Unless you’re enrolled in a foundation programme, work as a doctor or dentist in training.

Which jobs are available to international students in the UK?

The main objective of student visas in the UK is typically to provide you with a means of studying without restrictions. Your student visa can allow you to work for a limited period of time even though it was only intended to allow you to attend school. It’s important to keep in mind that the amount of time you are permitted to work is intended more for your professional development or to help you with your finances. Or, to put it another way, the government wants to make sure you don’t fall behind in your studies while working.

If your study programme requires a work placement, you must work for a set amount of hours each day. Currently, if you’re taking a course like that, you can work for as long as it doesn’t take up more than 33% of the total time allotted for the course.

It is an exception to this rule in the following situations-

  • You can enroll in your study course at RQF 6 or SCQF 9 at an accredited institution of higher learning. Up to 50% of the total time you spend studying may be spent working.
  • It is an RQF 6 or SCQF level course that is a component of a study abroad programme. Up to half of your overall study time may be spent working.
  • If you are 16 or older, you are a Tier 4 (Child). You are permitted to work for up to half the duration of your study.
  • A UK regulatory requirement allows you to surpass this restriction because work placement is an essential component of the academic programme.

It may be difficult to determine what kinds of employment you can hold while remaining within the law if you’re a foreigner and have no idea how the labour market operates. There are certainly a lot of these occupations, but if you don’t know at least a few of them from the start, your possibilities may be limited. Many students worry that they don’t have the abilities necessary to land a job while still in school. The main reason this is incorrect is that the majority of student employment doesn’t call for any special training or abilities. As a student, you will always receive assistance from an experienced worker, no matter how challenging the assignment may be to complete.

The extensive list of student jobs in the UK that we have provided below will give you some ideas for jobs to look for in the UK if you are a foreign student-

  • Student Support officer
  • Sales assistant
  • Pharmacy Delivery Driver
  • Pizza Delivery Driver
  • Veterinary care assistant
  • Personal Tutor
  • Ice Cream scooper
  • Host at a Restaurant
  • Smoothie Maker
  • Bartender
  • Cashier
  • Blogger
  • Personal Assistant
  • Physiotherapy assistant
  • Admission Officer
  • Sport Facilities Worker
  • Graphic designer
  • Software Developer Intern
  • Bookseller
  • Tour Guide
  • Research Assistant
  • Waitress at the university cafeteria
  • Pet caretaker
  • House Cleaner
  • Babysitter
  • Brand Ambassador
  • IT assistant
  • Security guard
  • Fitness instructor
  • Gardener
  • Customer Assistant
  • Freelance translator
  • Waitress
  • Receptionist
  • Facilities Assistant
  • Residence Guider
  • Promotional worker
  • Enrollment advisor
  • Finance Assistant
  • Social Media Assistant
  • Newspaper distributor
  • Photographer

How are you going to find a part-time job?

You can explore graduate careers, increase your employability, look for job openings and work experience placements, strengthen your application, and network with potential employers with the help of the university’s career service. Colleges frequently offer free services, including acting as a temporary and part-time employment agency. They will help you locate temporary or part-time employment on campus and in the neighborhood. Additionally, you can look for jobs online, in local newspapers, and with employment firms.

On campus work-

  • On campus, there are other places where part-time students work.
  • It’s possible that professors will be hiring research assistants over the summer, or there might be employment opportunities at academic buildings like the library.
  • The National Association of Student Employment Services offers helpful advice for overseas students looking for part-time employment.

How much money is made in a part-time job?

  • The rights of a student who works part-time are equal to those of a full-time employee.
  • There is a National Minimum Wage (NMW) in the UK that all employers are required to follow.

The current minimum wage rates-

Wage band Current rate from 1 April 2020
25 and over £8.72
21 to 24 £8.20
18 to 20 £6.45
Under 18 £4.55

Does taxation apply to working students?

While studying, students can work in the UK. And just like other workers, students are responsible for paying taxes and national insurance (NI). On all income exceeding £166 per week, national insurance (NI), which may be a payment to state benefits, is due. You pay 12% of your salary in NI contributions, which range from £166 to £962 every week. A 2% fee is applied to any weekly earnings beyond £892.

You can make up to £12,500 a year before paying taxes for the 2019–20 tax year. So, if you work a part-time job and make less than £12,500, you will not be required to pay anything. The amount you pay after deducting your Personal Allowance is based on your income. For 2019/20, the first £12,500 of income is tax-free; the remaining earnings, up to £50,000, are subject to a 20% tax rate.

There aren’t many students who make more than £46,350, but if you do, you must pay 40% of that amount in taxes.

Through PAYE (pay as you earn), the majority of employers deduct tax from your paychecks. This can be averaged out over the course of the year. This suggests that even though you will only have temporary employment, you will still be required to pay taxes on your income as though you had a year-round job, and you will be eligible for a refund at the end of the tax year.

What do I require before I can begin working?

Once you’re aware, you can work in the UK while you’re a student. To be eligible to work in the UK, you must have applied for a National Insurance number (NINO). However, you do not need to wait to start working until you have this number. After you’ve accepted an employment offer, you should do this.

A phone call can be used to request a National Insurance number. After doing this, you could be required to appear in person for an interview at your neighborhood Job center Plus to explain why you require a National Insurance number.

What should I do once I graduate from university?

You can work in the UK once you graduate thanks to the new post-study work visa regulations. From September 2020, any student enrolled at a UK institution may remain in the country for a maximum of two years after graduation in order to hunt for employment related to their degree or course of study. graduates of all educational institutions recognised as “licenced visa sponsors” are subject to this. Once you are aware that you can work while studying in the UK, you can also apply for a post-study work visa.

Unless your personal circumstances have altered, it should be automatic because the visa criteria for those graduates are anticipated to be the same as their original student visa standards. Graduates with undergraduate degrees (Bachelor’s), master’s degrees, and even doctorates are affected by this. It doesn’t matter how much you can work while you study because the PSW visa is designed to give graduates more time to look for work after graduation.

Who can obtain a UK Post-Study Work Visa?

Any foreign student with a Tier 4 visa who enroll in a UK institution after September 2020 is qualified to remain in the country after graduation and explore for job opportunities. Once you are aware that you can work in the UK while you are a student, you can also apply for a post-study work visa.

This is an expansion of regulatory modifications that permitted PhD graduates to remain in the UK after receiving their degrees. The UK claims that this is because it wants to expand its STEM industrial fields. All graduates have the option starting in 2020. Graduates with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree had only four months to stay and hunt for work in the past. That has been increased to two years with the new regulations for graduate visas.

In addition to fostering your independence, being allowed to work while you are a student in the UK will help you significantly with earning extra money to cover your living expenses while you are studying abroad. While it is true that you shouldn’t rely solely on the income from your part-time job to pay for your studies and living expenses, the opportunity for international students to work and study in the UK opens up a variety of opportunities to explore and develop your academic and professional abilities as well as forge new relationships in the nation.

Do you wish to study in the United Kingdom? Sign up for a consultation and get answers to any questions you have about studying in the United Kingdom and queries on any Study Abroad UK topics at myglobaluni.

myglobaluni is a leading study abroad platform that helps students to find the right study abroad programs, colleges, & universities. Call now: +91-7337781100 for study abroad counselling.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top