What is the application process to study in Australia?

What is the application process to study in Australia?

There are two intakes for admission in the universities – February and July, with some offering intakes in September and November and it takes 4 to 6 weeks to process an application so you must apply at least 6 months before the intake. The first step is to apply for the course you wish to study in Australia. In case you are applying for courses at different universities, then you will have to submit a separate application to each university.

  • Entry Requirements-
    English Language Requirements- Courses in Australia are prominently taught in English, which requires students to provide results of English language proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE. However, the English language skills required may differ for the institution and student visa application.
  • Academic Requirements- Varies from one course to another.
  • Visa Requirements

Confirmation of Enrolment
Once you’ve completed your application, you will receive a “Letter of Offer” confirming the offer for enrollment. In return, you are required to sign and send an acceptance to the concerned institution. These contracts contain the following:

  • Course you have applied for
  • Enrolment conditions
  • Fees you have to pay
  • Refund payable, in case you do not complete your course with the concerned

You will then receive an eCoE by mail once you have accepted your offer.

How to apply for a student visa?

Choosing to study in Australia is an exciting step into a bright future. Before you can take this step, you need to finalise some important details. One of the most important things you’ll need is a student visa, specifically the Student visa (subclass 500).

What is the Student Visa, Subclass 500?
The Student visa (subclass 500) visa allows you to live, work and study in Australia for a maximum of five years in line with your course. On this visa, you are normally allowed to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during term time and unlimited hours during study breaks. On 19 January 2021, the Australian Government announced that student visa holders can also temporarily work over their normal limit of 40 hours per fortnight during term time across all sectors of the economy. Students can work immediately upon arrival in Australia, and do not need to wait until their course commences.

Obtaining a student visa is an important step on your Study Abroad Australia journey. To get a student visa, you’ll need to have successfully applied to an Australian education provider. Relevant documents that need to be submitted include-

1) Certificates that verify your previous study, including qualifications you already have.
2) Evidence of your English language proficiency.
3) Certificates or documents which verify previous study or work experience if you are seeking course credits. These must be translated into English.

In Australia, student visa fees are AUD$630 per visa application- Rs 30,000 approximately, unless you are exempt. It’s also important to note that Australian student visa processing times vary from person to person. However, 75 per cent of applications are processed within 29 days and 90 per cent are processed within 42 days.

Now, let’s break down all the Australian student visa requirements you’ll need to meet to ensure your application gets approved.

Letter of Offer– If your application is successful, you will receive a Letter of Offer. Read the Letter of Offer carefully before you accept it. It will include your course details, enrolment conditions, fees you will need to pay if you go ahead with the offer. Make sure that you understand all your rights, including the refund arrangements; if you don’t start or finish your course, the agreement will be used to determine if you will receive a refund. Do not accept the Letter of Offer if you are not happy with any of its terms. Keep a copy of the Letter of Offer. You will need this copy so that you are aware of your rights and if you have to make a claim against the institution.

Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)– A Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) is a document that will be issued by your educational institution that verifies your enrolment in a specific course. The CoE will be sent to you after you have accepted your offer and paid your deposit. You must include a copy of this document in your visa application so that the government has proof that you are registered in your declared course.

English proficiency– If you are not a native English speaker, you’ll need to supply a certificate from an English language test because Australian educational courses are taught in English. This certificate will prove to the Australian Government that you meet the minimum English proficiency levels needed to succeed in your given course. There are only certain tests you can take that will be accepted by the Australian Government, but all are easily accessible from around the world.

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement- Another Australian student visa requirement is the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) component. To meet this requirement, you must write a statement that addresses two criteria:
1) That you are genuinely coming to Australia to study and not for any other reason.
2) That you will only be residing in Australia temporarily (and not overstaying your visa).
In your statement, you can include details on your ties to home (such as your friends and family, or a job that you have to return to) as well as the value of the course to your future careers or academic goals. Doing so will prove both your intention to return home at the end of your visa and your true intention to study in Australia.

Proof of sufficient funds– To receive an Australian student visa, you must prove that you have enough money to support yourself throughout your stay. You have two options when it comes to this component of your application:
Prove that you have enough money to cover all your costs and expenses through your course, such as travel, course fees, and rent. You can provide bank statements, evidence of grants, or scholarships.
Supply proof of your parent’s or partner’s annual income, which must be AUD$62,222 in the year immediately before you apply. If you bring family

As an international student in Australia, you must have an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your stay. If you don’t provide proof that you have bought this insurance, your student visa application will be denied. OSHC will help you pay for medical or hospital care while studying in Australia, pay for most prescription medicines, provide you with ambulance cover in emergencies. While organising your health cover, also make sure you order an OSHC card for use at doctor appointments while you’re living in Australia.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top