With a diverse selection of degrees and specialties, Australia’s universities are among the finest in the world. If students want to study engineering, English, medicine, or mathematics in Australia, they have a broad choice of options and combinations to choose from. Students can choose from more than 22,000 courses in Australia for international students provided by a range of schools. In Australia, there are 43 universities, comprising 40 Australian universities, two international universities, and one private university. Australia is setting international standards for excellence in education.
With eight of the country’s universities ranking in the world’s top 100 universities thanks to their world-class education, post-study work opportunities, and amazing quality of living, regardless of what course international students opt for, they’ll be met with unbeatable academic excellence and an excellent support system for international students. With most of the universities of the country ranking high globally year after year in rankings such as Times Higher Education, QS, and Shanghai Rankings. The Australian education system is distinguished by the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) – the national policy established in 1995 that specifies standards of qualifications from the tertiary education sector (higher education, vocational education, and training) in addition to the school leaving certificate, called the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education.
The universities, colleges, and schools of Australia are committed to equipping students with practical knowledge and skills to help them succeed in their chosen field, with education providers in Australia having re-engineered their approach to teaching and learning in order to inspire thought-provoking creativity among students.
Below listed are the top 8 most popular courses in Australia for international students-
The Bachelor of Accountancy, also known as Bachelor of Accounting, is the principal academic degree in accountancy in several countries and is often the only (undergraduate) degree recognized for subsequent practice as a professional accountant. The B.Acy. is extremely specialized with the curriculum requiring study sufficient for professional practice (often at the major level) in financial accounting, management accounting, auditing, and taxation. According to different rankings, there are 6 universities in Australia with high rankings and good reputations in the field of accounting.
Some of the best schools for the Accountancy bachelor study in Australia are-
- The University of New South Wales, which is a member of the Group of Eight in Australia, has the most famous school of business. The accounting discipline is part of the University of New South Wales’ Business School and is one of the best accounting schools in Australia and ranks 15th in the world.
- The University of Melbourne is a core member of the Association of Pacific Rim Universities, Pacific Asian Consortium for International Business Education and Research, and Association of Commonwealth Universities, a member of Ground of Eight and Sandstone universities as well as the original member of Universitas 21. In addition, this university is also known for the quality of its accounting program and strong graduate employability outcomes.
- The University of Sydney is not only one of the best universities in Australia but also one of the top universities in the world. By studying accounting at this university, you can gain the skills needed for a future-proof career in accounting, including interpreting and informing organizations about their financial position and performance, technical and non-technical accounting skills.
- Australian National University is one of the best universities in Australia for accounting, the only highest institution with a national university qualification in Australia. The accounting major of this university is provided by the ANU College of Business and Economics. After learning the major, students will be able to integrate theoretical and technical accounting knowledge in a business context, exercise judgment under supervision to provide possible solutions to routine accounting problems in straightforward contexts, etc.
- Monash University is also one of the best universities for accounting in Australia. The accounting degree at Monash University will teach you a solid technical skill set across key areas, including information systems, corporate finance, auditing and assurance, financial reporting, and data analysis.
- The University of Queensland is the first comprehensive university in Queensland and one of the largest and most prestigious universities in Australia. Its business school – UQ Business School is the first university business school in Australia to receive AACSB and EQUIS accreditation. By studying accounting at UQ, students will be capable of developing the skills necessary to practice in the accounting profession.
2. Actuarial Science
Actuarial science is the discipline that applies mathematical and statistical methods to assess risk in insurance, finance, and other industries and professions. More generally, actuaries apply rigorous mathematics to model matters of uncertainty. Actuaries are professionals trained in this discipline. In many countries, actuaries must demonstrate their competence by passing a series of rigorous professional examinations. Actuarial science includes a number of interrelated subjects, including mathematics, probability theory, statistics, finance, economics, and computer science. Historically, actuarial science used deterministic models in the construction of tables and premiums.
Some of the best schools for the Actuarial Science bachelor study in Australia are-
- The University of Melbourne- The University of Melbourne is ranked 1st in the top Australian schools for Accounting and Finance courses by QS Top Universities Rankings 2021. It is also the 3rd Best University in Australia according to the QS Top Universities Rankings 2021. Actuarial Studies is in fact studied as a major in a Bachelor of Commerce and still acquires full accreditation from the Actuaries Institute upon graduation.
- Macquarie University– Macquarie University is ranked 8th in the top Australian schools for Accounting and Finance courses by QS Top Universities Rankings 2021. Macquarie University is the first university accredited with a professional actuarial body in the world and has provided actuarial education for over 50 years. Many of the Actuarial Studies and Business Analytics teaching staff have a doctorate-level education with research and funding milestones. A Bachelor of Actuarial Studies integrates accreditation from the Actuarial Institutes within the course assessments.
- Australian National University- The Australian National University is ranked as the 5th best Australian school for Accounting and Finance course by QS Top Universities Rankings 2021. The ANU College of Business and Economics is renowned for its exceptional staff and facilities, which both make up one of the world’s best research-intensive universities. All 12 Actuarial teaching staff are experienced professionals who have achieved research publications, grants, and career milestones.
- Monash University- Monash University is ranked as the 4th best Australian school for Accounting and Finance course by QS Top Universities Rankings 2021. The Monash Business School offers various state-of-the-art teaching facilities such as the Monash Laboratory for Experimental Economics and the Monash Business Behavioural Laboratory. Actuarial Studies can be studied in 2 ways: through a major in a Bachelor of Commerce or undertaking a Bachelor of Actuarial Science. However, these two courses have only partial exemptions for accreditation from the Actuaries Institute.
- The University of New South Wales- The University of New South Wales Business School is ranked as the second-best Australian school for Accounting and Finance course by QS Top Universities Rankings 2021. Teaching staff at the Risk & Actuarial School are well-qualified with many doctorate-level professors and international academics that provide a broad range of perspectives to the academic courses.
3. Agricultural sciences
Agricultural science is a broad multidisciplinary field of biology that encompasses the parts of exact, natural, economic, and social sciences that are used in the practice and understanding of agriculture. Professionals of agricultural science are called agricultural scientists or agriculturists. As part of the STEM career pathway, agricultural sciences have many career options. Forestry, agricultural, farming, and agronomist careers all take this degree and ensure the crops we plant are the best ones, and that humans have food sources going into the future.
Some of the best schools for the Agricultural sciences bachelor study in Australia are-
- The University of Queensland ranks 14 In Best Universities for Agricultural Sciences.
- The University of Western Australia ranks 29 In Best Universities for Agricultural Sciences.
- The University of Sydney ranks 36 In Best Universities for Agricultural Sciences.
- The University of Melbourne ranks 66 In Best Universities for Agricultural Sciences.
- The University of Adelaide ranks 95 In Best Universities for Agricultural Sciences.
- The University of New South Wales ranks 128 In Best Universities for Agricultural Sciences.
- The University of Newcastle ranks 134 In Best Universities for Agricultural Sciences.
- Monash University ranks 138 In Best Universities for Agricultural Sciences.
- RMIT University ranks 155 In Best Universities for Agricultural Sciences.
Architecture is the art and science of designing and engineering large structures and buildings. Those who choose to study architecture will have enthusiasm for both the sciences and the arts, and architecture admissions requirements typically consider both artistic ability and mathematical proficiency. Combining both sides of the brain and promising graduate career prospects that are both personally fulfilling and financially rewarding, architecture degrees are a highly popular and competitive choice. Blending art, science, and technology, the subject requires the development of an interdisciplinary skillset – drawing on elements of mathematics and engineering, combined with creativity and an understanding of modern technologies, social issues, and cultural trends.
Some of the best schools for the Architecture bachelor study in Australia are-
- The University of Sydney– According to the QS Top Universities Rankings 2021, the University of Sydney comes in 1st for Architecture in Australia. The University of Sydney School of Architecture is 21st globally for architecture according to QS Top Universities Rankings by Subject 2021. As one of the international leaders in architecture, design, and planning, the University of Sydney School of Architecture boasts an impressive reputation.
- The University of Melbourne – The University of Melbourne is the second-best university in Australia to study Architecture according to the 2021 QS Top Universities Rankings. This degree is studied through the Faculty of Architecture, Building, and Planning within the Melbourne School of Design. The university is ranked 23rd globally for Architecture according to QS Top Universities Rankings by Subject 2021. Architecture is one of 12 majors that can be completed in the university’s Bachelor of Design.
- RMIT University in Melbourne is ranked the 3rd best university for architecture in Australia, according to QS Top Universities Rankings 2021. The Bachelor of Architectural Design at RMIT is a three-year course that can be followed by a two-year Master of Architecture. At RMIT University, Architecture students have the benefit of studying in an environment similar to a cutting-edge architectural design firm.
- The University of New South Wales (UNSW)- According to the QS Top Universities Rankings 2021, the University of New South Wales comes in 4th for Architecture in Australia. A Bachelor of Architectural Studies can be undertaken at UNSW for three years full time. After completing this degree, a Master of Architecture can be completed over two years, which recognizes students as registered architects. Students may also choose to study Interior Architecture (Honors) or Landscape Architecture (Honors) at this university. Both courses are three years full-time with an additional year to study honors.
- Curtin University- Curtin University in Perth comes in as the 5th best university for Architecture in Australia, according to QS Top Universities Rankings 2021. The university is ranked number one in Western Australia for Architecture. Students studying architecture at Curtin University have benefited from valuable industry experiences, provided by organizations such as design company GHD Woodhead and a government entity, Water Corporation.
Explore Our Next Blog: Learn more about Entry Requirements to Study in New Zealand
5. Biomedical engineering
Biomedical Engineering is the engineering technique with organic sciences to improve the quality of healthcare, pharmaceutical, and human life. Biomedical Engineering is an interdisciplinary field of engineering courses that deals with the study of engineering laws and techniques that are applied in the medical field. The foundation of Biomedical Engineering lies in the basic sciences – Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
It involves the study of all types of engineering ranging from computers, electronics, chemicals, nanotechnology, and mechanical. It covers the latest advances in the developing field of biomedical technology, instrumentation, and organization.
Some of the best schools for the Biomedical Engineering bachelor study in Australia are-
- The Queensland University of Technology ranks 1 In Best Universities for Biomedical Engineering in Australia.
- The University of New South Wales ranks 2 In Best Universities for Biomedical Engineering in Australia.
- The University of Sydney ranks 3 In Best Universities for Biomedical Engineering in Australia.
- The University of Queensland ranks 4 In Best Universities for Biomedical Engineering in Australia.
- The University of Melbourne ranks 5 In Best Universities for Biomedical Engineering in Australia.
- The University of Western Australia ranks 6 In Best Universities for Biomedical Engineering in Australia.
6. Computer science and information technology
Software and computer science engineers are in demand, both in Australia and worldwide. With the explosion of AI, the possibilities and growth potential for those in this field are rich. Specializing in areas such as machine learning, data management, and banking gives great career outcomes.
Some of the best schools for Computer science and information technology bachelor study in Australia are-
- The University of Technology Sydney ranks #13 in Best Universities for Computer Science and Information Technology in Australia.
- The University of Adelaide ranks #35 in Best Universities for Computer Science and Information Technology in Australia.
- The University of Sydney ranks #38 in Best Universities for Computer Science and Information Technology in Australia.
- The University of New South Wales ranks #47 in Best Universities for Computer Science and Information Technology in Australia.
- Australian National University ranks #58 in Best Universities for Computer Science and Information Technology in Australia.
- The University of Melbourne ranks #69 in Best Universities for Computer Science and Information Technology in Australia.
- The University of Queensland Australia ranks #75 in Best Universities for Computer Science and Information Technology in Australia.
Another broad field, the study of human behavior and the mind can be applied to a range of careers. In Australia, the skills shortage list includes clinical psychologists, educational psychologists, organizational psychologists, and psychotherapists. The intersection of psychology and machine learning has interesting prospects as well.
Some of the best schools for Psychology bachelor study in Australia are-
- University of Melbourne- The Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences offers undergraduate psychology majors as part of bachelors of arts or science, as well as a breadth of psychology minor options and a graduate diploma program for graduates seeking an accelerated psychology major. Postgraduate options include two masters of psychology degrees in clinical psychology or clinical neuropsychology.
- University of New South Wales (UNSW)- The School of Psychology at UNSW offers a broad range of undergraduate courses that not only teach the foundations of psychology but also give students general skills in research design, critical thinking, statistical analysis, and written and oral communication.
- University of Sydney- The University of Sydney’s School of Psychology is one of the oldest in Australia. The undergraduate psychology program at the university consists of 10 psychology units studied over three years. Completion of the program is a requirement for eligibility to proceed to a master’s year. Students can also study psychology as a major or minor alongside other subjects.
- The University of Queensland- The School of Psychology at The University of Queensland has about 50 full-time academic staff, and the school provides an extensive range of research expertise covering biological, clinical, cognitive, developmental, health, organizational, and social psychology
- Australian National University– The Australian National University’s Research School of Psychology was established in 1951 and now offers a comprehensive suite of undergraduate and postgraduate programs. Graduates of psychology courses at ANU have gone on to work in public service roles and in research positions at a variety of institutes; others have become management consultants at top firms such as KPMG and PwC.
8. Tourism and Hospitality management
Tourism and Hospitality Management is a study program that prepares students to work in the dynamic tourism industry in sectors like hospitality, travel, and tourism. The course will give you the knowledge and understanding of how tourism businesses operate, how tourists behave, and what impact tourism has on countries, cultures, and the environment. It also helps to develop a wide range of skills that can be applied to a variety of managerial and entrepreneurial roles in the expanding tourism industry. The program particularly emphasizes the cultural and political aspects of tourism, its special models in different societies, and its impact on the regional and global economy. It also prepares students to plan a wide range of tourism activities and manage tourist products considering existing circumstances and conditions.
Some of the best schools for Tourism and Hospitality Management bachelor study in Australia are-
- Griffith University- Griffith was one of the first universities in Australia to develop degrees in Tourism and Hotel Management and had continued to lead the field in the world today. In the 2019 QS World University Rankings, the Hospitality and Leisure Management subjects were ranked number one in Australia and eleventh globally. This course is available in Gold Coast and Brisbane.
- Edith Cowan University- Edith Cowan University (ECU) offers a Bachelor of Hospitality and Tourism which covers the key aspects required for managing diverse hospitality and tourism businesses including marketing, financial management, business research and analytics, and strategic management.
- Le Cordon Bleu- Students who wish to forge a career in the international hotel and hospitality market are encouraged to consider this degree program. Applicants will learn to master the fundamentals of hospitality as well as strategic management principles.
*This article is part of the series Things to keep in mind before leaving for Australia as a study abroad destination.